Welcome to the Western Cape Wineries - a kiwi's opinion blog

I originally set up this blog to help foreigners have an enjoyable experience when visiting the western cape wineries in South Africa.

I realised that it is very difficult for a tourist to choose where to go and which wineries to visit, when you have 600+ wine producers to choose from.

When I first moved to SA December 2010, my palate struggled to adjust to SA wine, b
ut after living here for a while and after visiting over 100+ wine estates, I have found many wines which I really like and can highly recommend.

Admittingly, when you come from another country it is hard not to compare the wine in SA to what you are used to back home. However, once you realise they are not the same (they have their own characteristics due to the different soil, climate etc) and appreciate their wines for being SA wines, it will improve your opinion and experience of the wines immediately.

If you are staying in SA for a while, don't dispair, your palate will change, and you will soon find yourself liking SA wine over your home countries wine!!

I hope my blog will help wine lovers have an enjoyable wine experience while in SA.

Please note: I am not a wine connoisseur. The comments I write about the wine is mostly for my own benefit of having them on record.



Tuesday 10 February 2015

Karusa - second visit

Today I was in the area so I decided to pop in for another tasting. The place seems to be doing really well, you will notice that their wine is in most restaurants in the area (Oudtshoorn) and each time I have visited the winery (both times on a week day) they have had guests sitting on the stoep enjoying a bite to eat and sipping on a glass of their wine.


Karusa has an outdoor area to enjoy a glass of wine and food and an indoor area for wine tastings. They serve food here also so I ordered a grilled Ostrich wrap which was delicious and a very decent size!

For the tasting you are restricted to 5 wines for R30. For anyone who follows my blog you know I struggle to chose and especially from a list of 20+ wines. I however felt like mostly white wines so I chose five and then the lady was kind to give me a tasting of a few more at the end. I therefore got to taste the following:


Southern Slope Sauvignon Blanc 2014 R58 a bottle - not too acidic, tropical nose, intense and good. Lighter on the palate in comparison to the nose.
Stonerock Viognier - wooded 2014 at R58 a bottle - nice and smooth, a little fresh on the finish.
Aloe Ridge Chardonnay - unwooded 2013 at R55 a bottle - guava, lime, fresh yet round mouth feeling
Terre Noire Syrah 2012 at R85 a bottle - heavier on the nose with blackcurrant and black pepper. Medium body, nice flavour, earthy tones, nice.
The Ancients Pinot Noir 2012 at R85 a bottle - smokey and spicy. Nice but unusual for a Pinot Noir.
Double Black Petite Syrah 2014 at R115 a bottle was rich and heavy, had cherry and blackcurrant flavour. It was good, but I didn't feel it was R115 good.
Grenache Noir/Shiraz/Mourvedre - unwooded red 2013 at R40 a bottle - it was served a little warm. It was a nice, light and easy drinking red, white pepper on nose and palate, a little spicy.
Muscat Blanc semi - sweet 2014 at R45 a bottle - lovely nose, nice easy drinking wine, pear, apple smell and taste, it is a light wine. Only 11.5% alcohol which is a bonus.

The lady who served me was very lovely. She remembered me from my last visit and provided an informative tasting.It was nice of her to give me a few extra wines to taste also.

I recommend one visits this winery when in Oudtshoorn.

No comments:

Post a Comment