Welcome to the Western Cape Wineries - a kiwi's opinion blog

I originally set up this blog to help foreigners have an enjoyable experience when visiting the western cape wineries in South Africa.

I realised that it is very difficult for a tourist to choose where to go and which wineries to visit, when you have 600+ wine producers to choose from.

When I first moved to SA December 2010, my palate struggled to adjust to SA wine, b
ut after living here for a while and after visiting over 100+ wine estates, I have found many wines which I really like and can highly recommend.

Admittingly, when you come from another country it is hard not to compare the wine in SA to what you are used to back home. However, once you realise they are not the same (they have their own characteristics due to the different soil, climate etc) and appreciate their wines for being SA wines, it will improve your opinion and experience of the wines immediately.

If you are staying in SA for a while, don't dispair, your palate will change, and you will soon find yourself liking SA wine over your home countries wine!!

I hope my blog will help wine lovers have an enjoyable wine experience while in SA.

Please note: I am not a wine connoisseur. The comments I write about the wine is mostly for my own benefit of having them on record.



Saturday 1 March 2014

Chamonix

Today we went to Franschhoek to visit a few wineries. We started at Chamonix as I had tasted a couple of their wines recently at a few wine events which I really liked and decided to therefore go and try the whole range.



The place is very nice and has a nice charming feeling to it.

On arriving at the tasting room we were told it costs R30 to taste the non-reserve wines and R50 to taste the reserve wines.


We sat outside to enjoy our tasting. Between the three of us, we were able to taste all the wines as we chose to do 2 reserve tastings and 1 non-reserve tasting.

MCC 2007 (R155) was stunning. It tasted wooded. It had typical Chardonnay characteristics. Lingering finish. Loved it!!

Chardonnay Unoaked (R70) was nice and fresh.

Sauvignon Blanc 2013 (R70) was green, grassy, pepper and asparagus notes on the nose and palate. Fresh and acidic.

Chardonnay 2012 (R125) soft, round, fresh, lovely. I liked this wine.

Rouge 2011 (R48) was ok.

Reserve White 2012 (R145) dry and sour. Went well with the olives. Bitter finish though. I didn't like this wine.

Sauvignon Blanc Reserve 2009 (R145) smelled wooded, it was smooth, with a lingering biscuit and yeast finish. Low acidity, but comes through on the finish.

Chardonnay Reserve 2012 (R230) was smooth, creamy, oak on the nose, lovely flavour, light on the palate but with nice body. I liked this wine.

Pinot Noir Reserve 2012 (R250) dark cherry colour, sour, soft and light, not dry. I didn't like this wine.

Troika 2011 (R200) had a beautiful Cab Franc smell, light-med body, little dry.

My favourites were the MCC, Chardonnay, Chardonnay Reserve and Troika.

They have a nice restaurant out the back which has a nice quiet and hidden feeling to it. I would like to eat here next time I am out this way. It looks like a nice place to spend the whole afternoon drinking, eating and catching up with friends!!


Overall I liked the experience here. Unfortunately I just didn't seem to like the majority of their wines. I think it is worth visiting though.

No comments:

Post a Comment