Welcome to the Western Cape Wineries - a kiwi's opinion blog

I originally set up this blog to help foreigners have an enjoyable experience when visiting the western cape wineries in South Africa.

I realised that it is very difficult for a tourist to choose where to go and which wineries to visit, when you have 600+ wine producers to choose from.

When I first moved to SA December 2010, my palate struggled to adjust to SA wine, b
ut after living here for a while and after visiting over 100+ wine estates, I have found many wines which I really like and can highly recommend.

Admittingly, when you come from another country it is hard not to compare the wine in SA to what you are used to back home. However, once you realise they are not the same (they have their own characteristics due to the different soil, climate etc) and appreciate their wines for being SA wines, it will improve your opinion and experience of the wines immediately.

If you are staying in SA for a while, don't dispair, your palate will change, and you will soon find yourself liking SA wine over your home countries wine!!

I hope my blog will help wine lovers have an enjoyable wine experience while in SA.

Please note: I am not a wine connoisseur. The comments I write about the wine is mostly for my own benefit of having them on record.



Saturday 9 November 2013

Constantia Uitsig

We came here on the day of my 30th birthday celebrations. This was a must visit winery for me on this special day. We enjoyed a wine tasting here and tasted the following wines:

MCC Blanc de Blanc Brut 2010 at R245 a bottle. Lovely fresh fruity flavours, slight yeast taste, off-dry, very pleasant. Nice.

Chardonnay Unwooded 2012 at R90 a bottle. Has a nutty nose, lovely stone fruit flavours on the palate, fresh, balanced wine, lovely lingering finish, like it. Medium body, tastes and smells wooded. Very fine wine.

Sauvignon Blanc 2012 at R90 a bottle. Green asparagus and capsicum taste. Quite sharp and acidic. Needs time to rest. The 2011 was settled nicely, was softer and not as green.

White Blend 2012 (65% Semillon and 35% Sauvignon Blanc) at R140 a bottle. Very smooth, round, balanced. Semillon is wooded 7 months. Danie and I both liked this wine.

Semillon 2011. Upfront stone fruits and peaches with fresh finish. Quite a dry finish. The flavour doesn't linger. Quite an abrupt finish. Danie and I both liked it.

Constantia Red 2009 at R130 a bottle. Lovely on the nose and on the palate, smooth, little rough on the edges (let it sit for a year or so), little dry, pleasant, light-medium body.

As per my last visit the service was good, the wine was delicious and the prices this time were awesome as they had a special on!! We were able to buy some older vintages of each wine also which made the experience more interesting and exciting.

I still highly recommend visiting this winery. Be sure to book a table in advance at one of the restaurants so you can enjoy a meal while here!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment