Welcome to the Western Cape Wineries - a kiwi's opinion blog

I originally set up this blog to help foreigners have an enjoyable experience when visiting the western cape wineries in South Africa.

I realised that it is very difficult for a tourist to choose where to go and which wineries to visit, when you have 600+ wine producers to choose from.

When I first moved to SA December 2010, my palate struggled to adjust to SA wine, b
ut after living here for a while and after visiting over 100+ wine estates, I have found many wines which I really like and can highly recommend.

Admittingly, when you come from another country it is hard not to compare the wine in SA to what you are used to back home. However, once you realise they are not the same (they have their own characteristics due to the different soil, climate etc) and appreciate their wines for being SA wines, it will improve your opinion and experience of the wines immediately.

If you are staying in SA for a while, don't dispair, your palate will change, and you will soon find yourself liking SA wine over your home countries wine!!

I hope my blog will help wine lovers have an enjoyable wine experience while in SA.

Please note: I am not a wine connoisseur. The comments I write about the wine is mostly for my own benefit of having them on record.



Thursday 17 October 2013

Lutzville - Wine club tasting

One of the senior winemakers at Lutzville, Jaco van Niekerk, was very kind to be a guest winemaker at my Western Cape Wineries club tasting in October at the Cape Town Club.




It was such a great tasting with Jaco. Learning about wine from Klawer was really interesting and the wines were so well priced and really value for money.


I didn't know much about Lutzville wine before this tasting and now I will have no hesitation ordering a bottle of their wine at a restaurant.

We tasted the Sauvignon Blanc 2012 which had lovely fresh minerality, a nice balance between tropical fruity flavours and green charters. It was very approachable and easy drinking. I liked this wine and felt it was value for money!! This wine is only R45 a bottle at the cellar.

Their Chenin Blanc 2012 won double gold michelangelo. It is a wooded Chenin, the wine is matured in big barrels for 9 months. This wine was very smooth and pleasant. Only R55 a bottle.

Cabernet Sauvignon 2010 is R65 a bottle. It had nice fruitiness, was a little dry and a little harsh. It was ok but it was not my favourite out of the wines we tasted. It had strong characteristics and it wasn't balanced. It was very fruity on the nose.

Ebenhaeser 2010 is their flagship blend. This sells for R85 at cellar door. It is a blend of Merlot, Pinotage, Ruby Cab, Shiraz, Pinot Noir and Cabernet Sauvignon. It had lovely flavours, was soft, fruity, had chocolate/mocha flavours, was integrated and balanced.


Pinotage 2012 was metallic and had a mocha nose. R40 a bottle (cellar door).

Francois be Vaillant Pinotage 2012 I didn't like the nose, it was balanced, full of flavour and character, had a long finish. This wine is R250 a bottle at cellar door.

They also have a noble late harvest for R150 a bottle. I found this had a full mouth feeling, was heavy and thick.

The Muscadel was soft, sweet, had tones of honey, it was nice.


I have to say, after writing out my notes just now, it seems I liked around half the wines we tasted. But, I am very keen to go out to the winery to see the location, vineyards and cellar. Jaco was such a nice guy, and was so informative when conducting the tasting that I really am looking forward to visiting the winery when next out that way. I really would like to learn more about this wine region and taste the wines again.

No comments:

Post a Comment