Welcome to the Western Cape Wineries - a kiwi's opinion blog

I originally set up this blog to help foreigners have an enjoyable experience when visiting the western cape wineries in South Africa.

I realised that it is very difficult for a tourist to choose where to go and which wineries to visit, when you have 600+ wine producers to choose from.

When I first moved to SA December 2010, my palate struggled to adjust to SA wine, b
ut after living here for a while and after visiting over 100+ wine estates, I have found many wines which I really like and can highly recommend.

Admittingly, when you come from another country it is hard not to compare the wine in SA to what you are used to back home. However, once you realise they are not the same (they have their own characteristics due to the different soil, climate etc) and appreciate their wines for being SA wines, it will improve your opinion and experience of the wines immediately.

If you are staying in SA for a while, don't dispair, your palate will change, and you will soon find yourself liking SA wine over your home countries wine!!

I hope my blog will help wine lovers have an enjoyable wine experience while in SA.

Please note: I am not a wine connoisseur. The comments I write about the wine is mostly for my own benefit of having them on record.



Wednesday 1 May 2013

Morgenster

Attractive decor, ok wine, nice setting.


Today my friend and I decided to visit a few wine estates in Somerset West. We started at Morgenster as Vergelegen was sadly closed being a public holiday.

The decor at Morgenster was very attractive and pleasing on the eye. The service was pleasant and the setting was lovely. They have cool settings for the wine and olive pairing. It is obviously quite popular if you look at how many olive tastings they are set up for.



At Morgenster you can sit inside at a table, near the fireplace, or outside on the patio. I loved the seating choices; one to suit every style of weather and one's moods.


We decided to sit outside seeing as it was such a nice day!! We were given a list of all the wine for tasting; there are heaps (15 wines to choose from)!! What is cool is that they have some older wines for tasting. They also do olive and wine tastings.


We chose to just do a wine tasting (without olive pairing). We chose 5 wines which cost R30. They then bring your wine in one go and leave you to taste the wine. Again, this is fine when you are not so bothered about the winemaking process or are not looking for an experience which involves stories and interaction with the staff.

My friend and I shared a few wines, so I ended up trying 7 wines in total. I tried the Caruso 2012 Rose (100% Sangiovese) at R78 a bottle, it had good fruity flavours, was off dry, pleasant, had a tart finish, was smooth, light-med body, had a lingering finish, I liked it.

Tosca 2008 (R190) had a slight sweet smell, a bit sharp/burning on the palate, slight mint on the nose.

Nabucco 2008 (R290) was lovely on the nose, light, red-brickish colour, tones of spicy fruity flavours, it was nice.

Morgenster Bordeaux blend 2003 (R390) had a potent brandy smell with sweet (glazed) cherry and dried apricot tones on the nose, dark brick red in colour, dry, ok on palate, a little nondescript in flavour.

Morgenster Bordeaux blend 2001 (R390) smells smoky, is dark brick red in colour, dry, no prominant taste, if try hard enough you might get smoky and light cherry flavours.

NU Series Merlot 2012 (R75) was soft, had a dark cherry colour, pleasant, fruity, a little dry, nice on the nose.

The NU Series Cabernet Sauvignon 2012 (R75) was sweet on the nose with hints of cinnamon, had soft tannins, was nice and easy drinking.

If I had to choose my favourite wines from this tasting, I would say I liked the Caruso Rose 2012, Nabucco 2008 and the NU Series Cabernet Sauvignon the best.


To be honest, I wasn't that impressed by the wine overall. I liked the place though!! We actually have a voucher to use here for a wine and olive tasting, so I shall go back for that and try some more wine. Maybe I will find a wine that impresses me second time round.

Sadly, I wouldn't recommend one goes out of their way to visit this estate, however, if you are out this way visiting Lourensford and Vergelegen, then you might as well visit this place too. Who knows, you might like their wine and wine tasting experience. It is a relaxing place with nice views!!

No comments:

Post a Comment