Welcome to the Western Cape Wineries - a kiwi's opinion blog

I originally set up this blog to help foreigners have an enjoyable experience when visiting the western cape wineries in South Africa.

I realised that it is very difficult for a tourist to choose where to go and which wineries to visit, when you have 600+ wine producers to choose from.

When I first moved to SA December 2010, my palate struggled to adjust to SA wine, b
ut after living here for a while and after visiting over 100+ wine estates, I have found many wines which I really like and can highly recommend.

Admittingly, when you come from another country it is hard not to compare the wine in SA to what you are used to back home. However, once you realise they are not the same (they have their own characteristics due to the different soil, climate etc) and appreciate their wines for being SA wines, it will improve your opinion and experience of the wines immediately.

If you are staying in SA for a while, don't dispair, your palate will change, and you will soon find yourself liking SA wine over your home countries wine!!

I hope my blog will help wine lovers have an enjoyable wine experience while in SA.

Please note: I am not a wine connoisseur. The comments I write about the wine is mostly for my own benefit of having them on record.



Monday 29 April 2013

Mt Vernon

Pleasant wine estate with friendly service and lovely wine....


On my way home from Paarl I decided to visit one other wine estate. As I couldn't decide which one I wanted to visit, I decided I would drive until one jumped out at me. Mt Vernon it was!!

As I arrived a man came in to the tasting room from outside and took me through a wine tasting. As we went through the tasting I realised he was the winemaker, awesome! Nothing better than a tasting with the winemaker himself.


This cute little dog was present for most of my visit. He is absolutely adorable!!!



We started off with the Unbelievable Dry White 2012 at R23.50 a bottle. This is from their entry level range. It was easy drinking and light.

The Jean Pierre Rose 2011 at R36 a bottle. It is mostly made from Merlot with some Shiraz and Pinotage. It was easy drinking, light, off dry and had tones of strawberry.

Three Peaks Sauvignon Blanc 2012 at R44 a bottle. It was lovely on the nose with tones of apple and pear. It was light, rounded, soft and not acidic. It was a pleasant wine.


Mount Vernon Chardonnay 2010 at R100 a bottle. It spent 8 months in barrels. It was a beautiful yellow colour, with a soft fruity aroma, light, lovely texture, pleasant on the palate. Easy drinking. Oak influence was minimal; no butter or butterscotch tones. There were hints of lemon though. This Chardonnay comes from only 3 hectares of vines.

Three Peaks Cantata 2010 at R53 a bottle is 15 % alcohol, which is quite high. It is a blend of Shiraz, Pinotage, Petit Verdot, Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon and Malbec. It was soft, smooth, a heavier, more serious red. I think it's best to decanter or serve with food.

Three Peaks Pinotage 2011 at only R42 a bottle. I loved this wine!!! It was beautiful on the nose, smooth, elegant and beautifully balanced. I could not get over how low the price was for this wine. I highly recommend this wine, especially at this price!!

Mount Vernon Malbec 2010 at R165 a bottle with 15% alcohol. The legs are stunning, flavour was intense, yet soft, I loved it!! It was amazingly creamy, soft, fruity and a little spicy. I love this wine!! It goes well with the olives they sell on the estate. Be sure to try their olives!! I am not a fan of olives, but their olives are very nice!! I think this wine would go nicely with heavy/fatty/rich food also.

Mount Vernon Cabernet Sauvignon 2009 at R150 a bottle has a eucalyptus smell and taste which is quite unique. It has an intense smell, unique taste, is smooth, rounded, and creamy.

Last but not least I tried the Flamenco Sangria 2012 at R30 a bottle. The Sangria was very pleasant, I loved the fruit flavours which were so prominant. You could taste the citrus flavours. It was light, easy drinking, nice and refreshing.

The winemaker is Philip Du Toit and he has been the winemaker there since 1997!!! He is a very pleasant, friendly, and hospitable guy. I enjoyed doing the wine tasting with him, especially as he was able to share stories which only a winemaker would know. It was cool.

I recommend visiting this estate. The olives, Pinotage, Malbec and service were the highlights for me!!

No comments:

Post a Comment