Welcome to the Western Cape Wineries - a kiwi's opinion blog

I originally set up this blog to help foreigners have an enjoyable experience when visiting the western cape wineries in South Africa.

I realised that it is very difficult for a tourist to choose where to go and which wineries to visit, when you have 600+ wine producers to choose from.

When I first moved to SA December 2010, my palate struggled to adjust to SA wine, b
ut after living here for a while and after visiting over 100+ wine estates, I have found many wines which I really like and can highly recommend.

Admittingly, when you come from another country it is hard not to compare the wine in SA to what you are used to back home. However, once you realise they are not the same (they have their own characteristics due to the different soil, climate etc) and appreciate their wines for being SA wines, it will improve your opinion and experience of the wines immediately.

If you are staying in SA for a while, don't dispair, your palate will change, and you will soon find yourself liking SA wine over your home countries wine!!

I hope my blog will help wine lovers have an enjoyable wine experience while in SA.

Please note: I am not a wine connoisseur. The comments I write about the wine is mostly for my own benefit of having them on record.



Saturday 9 March 2013

Spice Route

We went to Spice Route at the Ommiberg Festival. We did a chocolate and wine pairing outside.


Spice Route is very commercial but we all had a great time here. They have a really nice outdoor area, they have a pizzeria, a restaurant, a brewery and more.


If you go to Paarl for the Ommiberg Festival then I highly recommend this place. I do think it will be better if they have a live band though. Would truly add to the experience.

In my notes, I wrote down that I liked the Sauvignon Blanc 2012 and Viognier 2012.

After our tasting we sat on the lawn and enjoyed some pizza. The pizza is really good here. I highly recommend it.


On another occassion I went with two others to the restaurant at Spice Route for lunch and it was a really good experience that we had. We chose the winter two course special. I loved how they brought Gluhwein and a complimentary starter when we sat down, the starter was lovely and the gluhwein was the best I have tried!! The menu is really good so it made it hard to choose, but we all decided to go with the two course. We all thoroughly enjoyed our lunch. That day was really cold and it hailed that day, so it was a shame that the restaurant was not so warm, it would be awesome if they had a fireplace. The temperature would be the only thing I could fault. I recommend eating at this restaurant!! Check out the food we ate:





















No comments:

Post a Comment