Welcome to the Western Cape Wineries - a kiwi's opinion blog

I originally set up this blog to help foreigners have an enjoyable experience when visiting the western cape wineries in South Africa.

I realised that it is very difficult for a tourist to choose where to go and which wineries to visit, when you have 600+ wine producers to choose from.

When I first moved to SA December 2010, my palate struggled to adjust to SA wine, b
ut after living here for a while and after visiting over 100+ wine estates, I have found many wines which I really like and can highly recommend.

Admittingly, when you come from another country it is hard not to compare the wine in SA to what you are used to back home. However, once you realise they are not the same (they have their own characteristics due to the different soil, climate etc) and appreciate their wines for being SA wines, it will improve your opinion and experience of the wines immediately.

If you are staying in SA for a while, don't dispair, your palate will change, and you will soon find yourself liking SA wine over your home countries wine!!

I hope my blog will help wine lovers have an enjoyable wine experience while in SA.

Please note: I am not a wine connoisseur. The comments I write about the wine is mostly for my own benefit of having them on record.



Monday 28 January 2013

Goede Hoop

I almost didn't go to this winery as I already had been to two this afternoon, but with it being right beside Fort Simon and I didn't feel like driving up this long driveway again I decided to visit it while there. It was the best decision I made!!


This winery was similar to Bellevue in that it was a traditional, humble wine estate. I was greeted by one of the winemaking assistants and shown through to the tasting room.


Here I was able to try the Domaine White 2012 (Sauvignon Blanc/Chenin Blanc) at R31.50 a bottle. It had a sweet nose, smooth and silky texture, was fresh and fruity. The Sauvignon Blanc 2012 (R49.10) had a very floral aroma, which I found had a lavender and herbacious taste. It was unique!!

The Pinotage 2009 at R66.50 a bottle had an intense aroma, interesting taste, it was a little dry, little tart/sour. The Cabernet Sauvignon 2009 (R115.20) was a little dry, fruity, nice, lovely flavour, medium body and mature red. Pinotage 2005 (R66.50) has interesting fynbos and herbacious aroma and taste. It was lighter than the 2009.


Merlot/Cabernet Sauvignon 2002 (R63.10) was lovely on the nose, a little floral, little sweet hints and dry aftertaste. I really liked it!!

After the tasting I was shown through the cellar, which was when I saw that this winery still uses the old concrete tanks. It was so cool to see. I felt like I was walking through a wine museum. Another thing I noticed is the s-shaped object above the barrels with the MCC in them. First time seeing them and I was absolutely amused.


The lady who took me through the cellar showed me their special collection of old wine. She then went on to tell me that they hold dinners with the winemaker. A four course dinner for R305 which includes the opportunity to taste wine from their collection of wine.


The wine is from various wineries and many are from KWV.  Some of the wine is as old as 1975!!

I was so keen to attend this event, and it just so happened that the next one was on Thursday the 31st, so my boyfriend and I went along.


It was such an awesome experience!! Each couple was asked to choose a wine from the collection. As you can imagine this process took a while as we all thought so hard as to which wine we would pick out of such a collection. The wines selected ranged from 1975 to 2010.


The evening was fantastic, the food was great, the experience was one in a million and the night was one I wont forget.


If you are on Bottelary Road, be sure to pop in to this wine estate as I am sure you will have as memorable an experience as we did. Do yourself a favour and join them for their next winemakers dinner. I can't wait to attend the next one!!

No comments:

Post a Comment