Welcome to the Western Cape Wineries - a kiwi's opinion blog

I originally set up this blog to help foreigners have an enjoyable experience when visiting the western cape wineries in South Africa.

I realised that it is very difficult for a tourist to choose where to go and which wineries to visit, when you have 600+ wine producers to choose from.

When I first moved to SA December 2010, my palate struggled to adjust to SA wine, b
ut after living here for a while and after visiting over 100+ wine estates, I have found many wines which I really like and can highly recommend.

Admittingly, when you come from another country it is hard not to compare the wine in SA to what you are used to back home. However, once you realise they are not the same (they have their own characteristics due to the different soil, climate etc) and appreciate their wines for being SA wines, it will improve your opinion and experience of the wines immediately.

If you are staying in SA for a while, don't dispair, your palate will change, and you will soon find yourself liking SA wine over your home countries wine!!

I hope my blog will help wine lovers have an enjoyable wine experience while in SA.

Please note: I am not a wine connoisseur. The comments I write about the wine is mostly for my own benefit of having them on record.



Monday 28 January 2013

Fort Simon

This was the second winery I visited today on Bottelary Road. I had heard that this wine estate has a castle and a fort, so I decided to finally check it out.



It is quite a cool feeling you feel as you make your way up to the wine estate. Be sure to take your time to stop, take photos, and soak up this unique place.



As I got to the car park and made my way to the tasting room, I felt this feeling that I had stumbled upon something which no one else has found. I found myself feeling warm and child like as if I had stepped in to a mystical place. It was a peculiar feeling but one I liked.

 
It almost had a Disneyland feeling. The plants here are not typical to Cape Town, the water was so blue and pretty, the frangipanis were so pretty!! It felt magical and mystical. I liked it.



Once I got to the tasting room I was greeted by the tasting room manager. I had a very pleasant tasting here. We started with the Sauvignon Blanc 2011 (R70 a bottle) which was soft and fruity. The Pinotage Rose 2011 was my favourite wine here. It was delicious!! It was fruity, soft yet not sweet. I really liked this wine.


The Merlot 2010 is R73 a bottle. It is a little spicy on the nose, smooth, little dry and nice.

Pinotage 2009 at R86 a bottle was light, smooth, fruity and nice. The Shiraz 2009 at R106 a bottle was soft, sweet, fruity and nice. The Cabernet Sauvignon 2008 at R106 a bottle had an interesting/intense smell, lovely flavour, soft, refined and long lasting taste.


Platinum Collection Viognier 2009 at R96 a bottle is sweet, with peach tones, lovely texture, fresh, and has a long finish. It spent 6 months in 2nd fill french oak barrels. It was not too bad, but it still doesn't match up to my favourite Viognier in SA.


Viognier Noble Late Harvest 2010 Platinum Collection. Delicious!!! R109.


The overall experience was very pleasant. The wine was ok. I walked out with a bottle of the Rose and the dessert wine, as I thought these were fantastic. I look forward to sitting down to an entire bottle and making another judgement on these wines.

If you come out this way, be sure to visit this winery, Goode Hoep (right beside Fort Simon) and Bellevue. It really makes for a lovely afternoon!!

1 comment:

  1. The Pinotage Rose 2011 is a real winner!! I took a bottle to a braai the other day and everyone loved it. I must get some more!!

    ReplyDelete