Welcome to the Western Cape Wineries - a kiwi's opinion blog

I originally set up this blog to help foreigners have an enjoyable experience when visiting the western cape wineries in South Africa.

I realised that it is very difficult for a tourist to choose where to go and which wineries to visit, when you have 600+ wine producers to choose from.

When I first moved to SA December 2010, my palate struggled to adjust to SA wine, b
ut after living here for a while and after visiting over 100+ wine estates, I have found many wines which I really like and can highly recommend.

Admittingly, when you come from another country it is hard not to compare the wine in SA to what you are used to back home. However, once you realise they are not the same (they have their own characteristics due to the different soil, climate etc) and appreciate their wines for being SA wines, it will improve your opinion and experience of the wines immediately.

If you are staying in SA for a while, don't dispair, your palate will change, and you will soon find yourself liking SA wine over your home countries wine!!

I hope my blog will help wine lovers have an enjoyable wine experience while in SA.

Please note: I am not a wine connoisseur. The comments I write about the wine is mostly for my own benefit of having them on record.



Sunday 20 January 2013

Doolhof Wine Estate

On Sunday my boyfriend and I visited Doolhof wine estate as we had bought a city slicker voucher which entitled us to a wine tasting, walk around the farm and a picnic.


We started with the tasting, we were told to pick 5 wines from the list of 21 wines, then take a seat and they will bring the wine out to us. They bring all 5 wines on a tray, with each one labeled. The labels were cute I have to say. The lady serving us told us that if we have any questions on the wine to just ask, otherwise we can just enjoy the tasting and take our time.



Between the two of us we tried the Signature Sauvignon Blanc 2012 R90, Signature Cabernet Sauvignon 2010 R80, Signature Shiraz 2008 R80, Signature Pinotage 2008 R80, Signature Malbec 2010 R115, Signature Petit Verdot 2008 R115, Signature Cabernet Franc 2009 R115, Renaissance Cab/Merlot 2007 R80, The Minotaur 2008 R150 and the Lady in White 2010 R80.




Out of all these wines, I liked the Malbec the most, then the Shiraz, Cabernet Franc, Cabernet Sauvignon and Lady in White.

I have to say the Petit Verdot was so interesting!! It has a sweet smell to it and then it tastes so sour!! I would never buy it but I highly recommend you taste it if you visit the winery. It is just so unique and funny!!
 


The manager at the tasting room is very welcoming and pleasant. She was polite, friendly, and always ready to answer any questions we had. She is a good ambassador for the wine estate!! No complaints from my side on the service!!

Our picnic was lovely. We found a spot near the river and enjoyed a wrap, cheese and crackers, potatoe salad, meatballs, and brownies. We were also given a bottle of Sauvignon Blanc to enjoy with the picnic.


After our walk along the river, we went and checked out the maze and the horses. It was a lovely day trip and I highly recommend one takes a day to enjoy all that the winery has to offer.




Having said that, I would not drive all that way just for the wine, and if you only have one day in Cape Town, then this would not be the top of my list. But, if you are a local and have been to many wineries and have not made the effort to drive out to Doolhof, do so, and call in advance to see if you can book a picnic while there. If not, see if they will let you take your own. Relaxing at this place was what I enjoyed the most!!! It really is a lovely, tranquil and friendly wine estate.


No comments:

Post a Comment