Welcome to the Western Cape Wineries - a kiwi's opinion blog

I originally set up this blog to help foreigners have an enjoyable experience when visiting the western cape wineries in South Africa.

I realised that it is very difficult for a tourist to choose where to go and which wineries to visit, when you have 600+ wine producers to choose from.

When I first moved to SA December 2010, my palate struggled to adjust to SA wine, b
ut after living here for a while and after visiting over 100+ wine estates, I have found many wines which I really like and can highly recommend.

Admittingly, when you come from another country it is hard not to compare the wine in SA to what you are used to back home. However, once you realise they are not the same (they have their own characteristics due to the different soil, climate etc) and appreciate their wines for being SA wines, it will improve your opinion and experience of the wines immediately.

If you are staying in SA for a while, don't dispair, your palate will change, and you will soon find yourself liking SA wine over your home countries wine!!

I hope my blog will help wine lovers have an enjoyable wine experience while in SA.

Please note: I am not a wine connoisseur. The comments I write about the wine is mostly for my own benefit of having them on record.



Thursday 8 November 2012

November wine tasting event

This month on Thursday the 15th of November my wine club members will be gathering at the Five Flies in Cape Town for a "Chrissy's favourite wines" tasting event.



Last month a friend asked me to put together a list of wine I recommend he should buy for Christmas. It then gave me the idea that perhaps others in my wine club would also appreciate this list. I therefore decided to hold a wine tasting evening where we could all enjoy trying ten different wine varietals and perhaps stock up on wine before Christmas also. There are some great specials for those who buy wine on the night.

I am not going to tell everyone the wine I have selected yet (that will be revealed on the night), but I can tell you the wine I have picked are my favourites and the ten varietals I have chosen are:

MCC
Semillon
Viognier
Chenin Blanc
Chardonnay
Riesling
Pinotage
Syrah
Grenache
Dessert wine

If you would like to attend this event, please contact me on westerncapewineries@gmail.com.

Tickets are R130 this includes canapes and the wine tasting. The event starts at 6.30pm with canapes and then the wine tasting begins at 7pm. The event usually finishes around 9.30pm.

This month Nick Davies from The Franschhoek Pass Winery (Morena) will be the guest winemaker. He will explain how MCC is made and answer any questions you may have throughout the night.

 

Be sure not to miss this event. It is a lot of fun, informative, professionally done, yet relaxed.

This event is best suited for those who are beginner/intermediate wine drinkers. I.e. Don't know much about wine but they enjoy drinking it :-)

1 comment:

  1. On Thursday we tasted the following wines:

    Morena Brut Rose MCC
    Jordan Riesling
    La Vierge Jezebelle Chardonnay
    Kanu Chenin Blanc KCB
    Cederberg Ghost Corner Semillon
    Vrede en Lust Viognier
    Diemersdal Grenache
    Lord's Shiraz
    Lemberg Pinotage
    Jordan Merlot
    Lemberg Surin

    It was great having Nick Davies from Morena at the wine event last week. His Morena MCC's were just fantastic!! Everyone found the tasting informative and interesting.

    Diemersdal Grenache was the favourite red wine.
    La Vierge Jezebelle Chardonnay was the favourite white wine.
    Lemberg Surin dessert wine was the third favourite of the night.

    Be sure to get your hands on these wines and stock up for Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete