Welcome to the Western Cape Wineries - a kiwi's opinion blog

I originally set up this blog to help foreigners have an enjoyable experience when visiting the western cape wineries in South Africa.

I realised that it is very difficult for a tourist to choose where to go and which wineries to visit, when you have 600+ wine producers to choose from.

When I first moved to SA December 2010, my palate struggled to adjust to SA wine, b
ut after living here for a while and after visiting over 100+ wine estates, I have found many wines which I really like and can highly recommend.

Admittingly, when you come from another country it is hard not to compare the wine in SA to what you are used to back home. However, once you realise they are not the same (they have their own characteristics due to the different soil, climate etc) and appreciate their wines for being SA wines, it will improve your opinion and experience of the wines immediately.

If you are staying in SA for a while, don't dispair, your palate will change, and you will soon find yourself liking SA wine over your home countries wine!!

I hope my blog will help wine lovers have an enjoyable wine experience while in SA.

Please note: I am not a wine connoisseur. The comments I write about the wine is mostly for my own benefit of having them on record.



Sunday 20 November 2011

Wine on the Water


This was a favourite event of mine. I wanted to go to this event, but I had dragged my boyfriend to so many wine events this year, that I didn't suggest this event. Just by chance, we actually ended up here because we were taking an Australian friend out for lunch and this place was close to where he was staying.

For only R50 we could try the wine and enjoy the beautiful views this place has to offer. After trying a little bit of wine we went and enjoyed lunch at one of the restaurants. It was extremely hot that day!!


We tried some more wine after lunch. We only had an hour and the time went very quickly. Unfortunately we didn’t get to try all the wine there.

We did try Wildekrans wine. My favourites were the Wildekrans Shiraz 2008 (R50) and the Wildkrans Lunch Ladies Rose 2011 (R50).

We also tried Cranefields Wines. I liked he Cranefields Shiraz 2007 which was very smooth, light, and had a slightly peppery aftertaste. It was very nice and only R48 a bottle. I also liked the Cranefields Cabernet Sauvignon 2006 (R48).

One other winery I have record of visiting is the Bushmanspad. The wine I liked the most at this winery was the Red Gold Shiraz 2006 at R55 a bottle. It was very soft, delicate, balanced and delicious!! I loved this wine.


If they hold this event again in 2012 I am very keen to go. The venue is lovely, the amount of wineries present was great and the price of the ticket you can't beat!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment