Welcome to the Western Cape Wineries - a kiwi's opinion blog

I originally set up this blog to help foreigners have an enjoyable experience when visiting the western cape wineries in South Africa.

I realised that it is very difficult for a tourist to choose where to go and which wineries to visit, when you have 600+ wine producers to choose from.

When I first moved to SA December 2010, my palate struggled to adjust to SA wine, b
ut after living here for a while and after visiting over 100+ wine estates, I have found many wines which I really like and can highly recommend.

Admittingly, when you come from another country it is hard not to compare the wine in SA to what you are used to back home. However, once you realise they are not the same (they have their own characteristics due to the different soil, climate etc) and appreciate their wines for being SA wines, it will improve your opinion and experience of the wines immediately.

If you are staying in SA for a while, don't dispair, your palate will change, and you will soon find yourself liking SA wine over your home countries wine!!

I hope my blog will help wine lovers have an enjoyable wine experience while in SA.

Please note: I am not a wine connoisseur. The comments I write about the wine is mostly for my own benefit of having them on record.



Saturday 21 July 2012

Barrydale Winery

There are three wineries in Barrydale, and only two are open on a Saturday; Joubert-Tradouw (10am - 2pm) and Barrydale (10am - 3pm). When we set off from Montagu, we decided we would visit Joubert-Tradouw first and then this winery second seeing as it is open the longest.


After seeing the list of wines, I asked how a tasting works at this winery. E.g. how much does it cost, and how many wines can we try. The response was, well are you here to drink wine to buy or just to try? This didn’t get me off on the right note. I replied that we will buy wine if we like it, but we are otherwise here to just to try the wine.

A tasting is R25 per person, but if you buy wine this fee is waived.

The next thing we were given a shared tasting; where my boyfriend and I shared from one glass. We tried the whites, and then I asked if I could try the reds. He hesitated, and then said he had to open the bottles for me to try them. So I only got to try the Pinot Noir and the Merlot. Both of these were ok. I wanted to try the Shiraz but with this not being open, we couldn’t try it. We tried all three brandies, and my favourite was the Barry & Nephews Muscat Cape Pot Still Brandy (R290).


I would have to say I wouldn’t drive out to Barrydale to visit this winery. I would also say, if you are in Barrydale and only have time to try one winery, don’t make this your choice. Joubert-Tradouw was a much better experience, with far nicer wine and a much more enjoyable tasting experience.


Perhaps others have better experiences than myself? Be sure to make a comment below if you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment