Welcome to the Western Cape Wineries - a kiwi's opinion blog

I originally set up this blog to help foreigners have an enjoyable experience when visiting the western cape wineries in South Africa.

I realised that it is very difficult for a tourist to choose where to go and which wineries to visit, when you have 600+ wine producers to choose from.

When I first moved to SA December 2010, my palate struggled to adjust to SA wine, b
ut after living here for a while and after visiting over 100+ wine estates, I have found many wines which I really like and can highly recommend.

Admittingly, when you come from another country it is hard not to compare the wine in SA to what you are used to back home. However, once you realise they are not the same (they have their own characteristics due to the different soil, climate etc) and appreciate their wines for being SA wines, it will improve your opinion and experience of the wines immediately.

If you are staying in SA for a while, don't dispair, your palate will change, and you will soon find yourself liking SA wine over your home countries wine!!

I hope my blog will help wine lovers have an enjoyable wine experience while in SA.

Please note: I am not a wine connoisseur. The comments I write about the wine is mostly for my own benefit of having them on record.



Saturday 21 April 2012

Uva Mira


Today we went to Uva Mira for a wine tasting. The service was very good, the views are lovely and the wine is very nice.

We tried the Sauvignon Blanc 2011 at R75 a bottle. It was soft, had tropical citrus fruity flavours. The Succession Rose 2010 at R35 a bottle is made from 100% Cabernet Franc grapes. It has nice body to it, an interesting flavour, slightly sour taste to it.


The Merlot Cab Sauv 2007 is R100 a bottle. This was very nice. There is a slight dark chocolate taste to it, its alittle dry, has a lovely berry flavour and nice body.
 
Their Chardonnay is unfortunately sold out so we didn’t get to try it. This winery won best Chardonnay in the world in 2004.
The Syrah 2008 (R200) was not to my liking, but I highly recommend trying it. It really had me puzzled. I found it a bit rough, quite spicy, yet I felt it lacked flavour and yet there was something that was dominating and overpowering. I really was confused with this wine. So I recommend tasting it, and see what experience you get from it.


The Uva Mira Red Blend 2007 at R200 a bottle is a blend of Cab Sauv, Merlot, Cab Franc and Syrah. It is a little dry, has a slight plum and chocolate taste. I found it had a very mature taste this wine.

It costs R20 to try three wines and R30 to try all their wine.

Be sure to check out this winery. They have great service, a lovely view and good wine. Its also a nice place to start your wine tour down this hill. I recommend going to Hidden Valley and Guardian Peak on your way down.

No comments:

Post a Comment