Welcome to the Western Cape Wineries - a kiwi's opinion blog

I originally set up this blog to help foreigners have an enjoyable experience when visiting the western cape wineries in South Africa.

I realised that it is very difficult for a tourist to choose where to go and which wineries to visit, when you have 600+ wine producers to choose from.

When I first moved to SA December 2010, my palate struggled to adjust to SA wine, b
ut after living here for a while and after visiting over 100+ wine estates, I have found many wines which I really like and can highly recommend.

Admittingly, when you come from another country it is hard not to compare the wine in SA to what you are used to back home. However, once you realise they are not the same (they have their own characteristics due to the different soil, climate etc) and appreciate their wines for being SA wines, it will improve your opinion and experience of the wines immediately.

If you are staying in SA for a while, don't dispair, your palate will change, and you will soon find yourself liking SA wine over your home countries wine!!

I hope my blog will help wine lovers have an enjoyable wine experience while in SA.

Please note: I am not a wine connoisseur. The comments I write about the wine is mostly for my own benefit of having them on record.



Sunday 22 April 2012

Noble Hill


Today we went to Noble Hill for lunch with a group of friends. We had friends over from Johannesburg and a friend from Worcester meeting us. I booked us a table at Noble Hill for lunch and it was the best decision ever.


The restaurant setting is lovely, the service was good, the food was good and the size of the meals made it very good value for money!!

There is only outdoor seating, but they are well prepared with umbrellas and blankets. Half the tables are under cover, so if the weather is not fantastic, you will still be able to sit under cover.

We started with a bottle of Sauvignon Blanc which was just perfect. Such an easy drinking, fruity, light Sauvignon Blanc. I was actually not so keen on the idea of drinking Sauvignon Blanc to start with because I wasn’t in the mood for a citrus/sharp wine. However, the Noble Hill SB was far from that, I was so impressed, it was just perfect for the occassion and went well with the meals.

This restaurant has three breakfasts which are available all day, and the rest of the food is mexican style. I just loved the French toast that I had, it was absolutely delicious!!! The rest of the group went for the Mexican dishes, and all were a great size, had great flavours and were enjoyed by all. 

We stayed quite a while here. We moved to the couches under cover, and chilled here for a while longer. I went in to the tastng room for a tasting. I joined a couple at the bar in the tasting room, and thoroughly enjoyed going through the wine on offer. The guy serving (Andreas) was a really pleasant, polite, fun person to do the tasting with. He has only been working at this winery for just over a month, has no history in wine and yet he did such an awesome job, you would not believe he had only been doing this job for a month.

After returning to my group, I suggested we have a bottle of the Chardonnay, and everyone loved it, even those who are not Chardonnay fans!! This is a nicely balanced, rounded, buttery Chardonnay. It was lovely!! 

At this stage, one of the staff was kind enough to give us more tortilla chips with the matching dip. That was very yummy!!!

I would highly recommend visiting this winery for a tasting and/or a meal!! This is a child friendly place, and ideal on a nice sunny day!! Be sure to visit this place. I will definitely visit this place again, and introduce others to this restaurant and winery.

No comments:

Post a Comment