Welcome to the Western Cape Wineries - a kiwi's opinion blog

I originally set up this blog to help foreigners have an enjoyable experience when visiting the western cape wineries in South Africa.

I realised that it is very difficult for a tourist to choose where to go and which wineries to visit, when you have 600+ wine producers to choose from.

When I first moved to SA December 2010, my palate struggled to adjust to SA wine, b
ut after living here for a while and after visiting over 100+ wine estates, I have found many wines which I really like and can highly recommend.

Admittingly, when you come from another country it is hard not to compare the wine in SA to what you are used to back home. However, once you realise they are not the same (they have their own characteristics due to the different soil, climate etc) and appreciate their wines for being SA wines, it will improve your opinion and experience of the wines immediately.

If you are staying in SA for a while, don't dispair, your palate will change, and you will soon find yourself liking SA wine over your home countries wine!!

I hope my blog will help wine lovers have an enjoyable wine experience while in SA.

Please note: I am not a wine connoisseur. The comments I write about the wine is mostly for my own benefit of having them on record.



Friday 2 March 2012

Simonsig

My work colleague and I visited this winery after work on Friday.


We paid R25 each to taste 5 wines. There are 23 wines to choose from, so it makes the choice very difficult.

At Simonsig, you pay for your tasting, select your first wine to try, you sit down anywhere you like (inside or outside) and then go up for your next tasting.  So it is a very relaxed style/approach. Having said that, you still get good service and the tasting room staff know the wine very well and are happy to share their knowledge with you.

We were looked after by one male staff member and he was kind enough to let us try 7 wines, as I found it too hard to choose just 5. At closing time, my ride was not there yet, so they let us sit outside with a glass of dessert wine while we were waiting. So I was really impressd with the service and hospitality we received here.

I recommend one visits this winery. If you have never had the Simonsig Kaapse Vonkel (R90) then I highly recommend you try it. The Kaapse Vonkel Brut Rosé (R90) was also very nice. We tried the Cuvée Royale (Blanc de Blanc) Cap Classique (R180) also and this was very nice. For those who don't like the biscuity, yeasty, dry MCC then this would not be for you. Having said this, I usually don't like this style of MCC either, but enjoyed this one. I reckon its worth trying. This MCC won the Veritas Double gold and Platters 4 1/2 stars.

I liked the Sauvignon Blanc Sunbird (R60) and the Chenin Blanc (R40). They were both light, easy drinking and had nice flavour.

Overall we had a nice wine tasting experience here and I would recommend others visit this winery also.

Tasting & Wine SalesMon to Fri – 08:30 - 17:00
Saturdays & Public Holidays – 08:30 - 1600
Sunday - 11:00 - 15:00
Closed on Christmas, New Year's Day & Good Friday


No comments:

Post a Comment