Welcome to the Western Cape Wineries - a kiwi's opinion blog

I originally set up this blog to help foreigners have an enjoyable experience when visiting the western cape wineries in South Africa.

I realised that it is very difficult for a tourist to choose where to go and which wineries to visit, when you have 600+ wine producers to choose from.

When I first moved to SA December 2010, my palate struggled to adjust to SA wine, b
ut after living here for a while and after visiting over 100+ wine estates, I have found many wines which I really like and can highly recommend.

Admittingly, when you come from another country it is hard not to compare the wine in SA to what you are used to back home. However, once you realise they are not the same (they have their own characteristics due to the different soil, climate etc) and appreciate their wines for being SA wines, it will improve your opinion and experience of the wines immediately.

If you are staying in SA for a while, don't dispair, your palate will change, and you will soon find yourself liking SA wine over your home countries wine!!

I hope my blog will help wine lovers have an enjoyable wine experience while in SA.

Please note: I am not a wine connoisseur. The comments I write about the wine is mostly for my own benefit of having them on record.



Saturday 24 March 2012

Plasir de Merle

After visiting Allee Bleue we visited Plasir de Merle. From the moment you drive on to the property you feel the grandness of the place.


The tasting room is very nice and the service was good. There are several options for doing a wine tasting at this winery. You can choose a fudge and wine tasting, a food and wine tasting, a standard tasting and a premiere tasting.

Three of us chose the standard tasting and my boy friend chose to do a food and wine tasting. The food includes things like sundried tomato, biltong, almonds etc.


The wine was nice here but the prices are quite high. We started with the Sauvignon Blanc 2011 (R85). Next we had the Chardonnay 2010 (R90). We also tried the Cabernet Sauvignon 2008 (R145), Malbec 2008 (R220) and the Grand plasir 2007 (R290). The latter is a Bordeaux Blend. It is rounded, has good body, was complex, had great flavour, and had a little dry aftertaste. I liked this wine, it was very enjoyable.


This is a nice winery; there is good service, the wine is of good quality and the grounds are very nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment