Welcome to the Western Cape Wineries - a kiwi's opinion blog

I originally set up this blog to help foreigners have an enjoyable experience when visiting the western cape wineries in South Africa.

I realised that it is very difficult for a tourist to choose where to go and which wineries to visit, when you have 600+ wine producers to choose from.

When I first moved to SA December 2010, my palate struggled to adjust to SA wine, b
ut after living here for a while and after visiting over 100+ wine estates, I have found many wines which I really like and can highly recommend.

Admittingly, when you come from another country it is hard not to compare the wine in SA to what you are used to back home. However, once you realise they are not the same (they have their own characteristics due to the different soil, climate etc) and appreciate their wines for being SA wines, it will improve your opinion and experience of the wines immediately.

If you are staying in SA for a while, don't dispair, your palate will change, and you will soon find yourself liking SA wine over your home countries wine!!

I hope my blog will help wine lovers have an enjoyable wine experience while in SA.

Please note: I am not a wine connoisseur. The comments I write about the wine is mostly for my own benefit of having them on record.



Saturday 3 March 2012

Harvest of Joy

We attended this event last year and decided to attend it again this year.


We went about 10.30am and there weren't a lot of people at that time. By the time we left at 3pm there was definitely a lot more people.


It cost R40 to attend the event and then another R20 to buy a glass so you could taste all the wine.

I tried all the wine at this event, so thought I would write a bit about each winery's wine we tried.

We started with Alvi's drift wine. I am a fan of their naughty girl rosé sparkling, even though it is quite sweet. On a hot day, it is ideal, so long as it's cold!! I had a tasting of this sparkling again and didn't find it as sweet this time. Having said that, I tried the white sparkling called Nude and found this one no where near as sweet. I loved this sparkling and thought it was better than the rosé. I also enjoyed the SVC white blend.

At the Brandvlei Cellar I liked the Bacchanté which was sweet, rounded and easy drinking. I also liked the Chardonnnay which was soft and rounded. The Shiraz Rosé was also sweet, rounded and nice. The wine at this winery is so reasonably priced!! The SB is R20, Chardonnay is R19, Chenin Blanc, Bacchanté and Shiraz Rosé are all R18 a bottle.

Next we tried Eagle's Cliff wine. I liked the Sauvignon Blanc 2011 and the Shiraz Rosé 2011 which were both soft and easy drinking.

The Stettyn Cellar had a nice Sauvignon Blanc which was light, fruity and easy drinking.

My favourite wine from the Overhex cellar was the Pinotage. That was absolutely fantastic. Its only R40 a bottle, yet it has won a michelangelo and veritas silver award. I highly recommended trying or buying this wine!!!

Aan De Doorns also had wine at this festival. I liked their Rosé Blanc De Noir which was a little sweet and smooth. The Colombar was very smooth, sweet and nice.

There is a boat ride you can take at this festival. It costs R40 per person. You can take on food and wine which you can buy at the market, so we have done this on both occasions. It's very relaxing and nice.



As it's usually quite hot on the day of this festival, you are welcome to take your swim suit and go for a swim. The children like being able to do this while the parents drink and enjoy a nice relaxing day.

No comments:

Post a Comment