Welcome to the Western Cape Wineries - a kiwi's opinion blog

I originally set up this blog to help foreigners have an enjoyable experience when visiting the western cape wineries in South Africa.

I realised that it is very difficult for a tourist to choose where to go and which wineries to visit, when you have 600+ wine producers to choose from.

When I first moved to SA December 2010, my palate struggled to adjust to SA wine, b
ut after living here for a while and after visiting over 100+ wine estates, I have found many wines which I really like and can highly recommend.

Admittingly, when you come from another country it is hard not to compare the wine in SA to what you are used to back home. However, once you realise they are not the same (they have their own characteristics due to the different soil, climate etc) and appreciate their wines for being SA wines, it will improve your opinion and experience of the wines immediately.

If you are staying in SA for a while, don't dispair, your palate will change, and you will soon find yourself liking SA wine over your home countries wine!!

I hope my blog will help wine lovers have an enjoyable wine experience while in SA.

Please note: I am not a wine connoisseur. The comments I write about the wine is mostly for my own benefit of having them on record.



Saturday 26 November 2011

High Constantia


I went to High Constantia on Thursday by myself for a wine tasting, as I was out that way to pick up wine from Buitenverwachting for my upcoming wine event.

I had an hour to kill so I thought I would see if they were open, I had tried to do a tasting two other times at this winery, but both times they were closed.

As I walked down the driveway a lady welcomed me on to the estate and showed me through to the tasting room.

The tasting is done outside on the porch where you have a beautiful view of the mountains, an old builing and a pond.

The place is so tranquil you could sit here for hours enjoying the view.


First I got to try the Clos Andre 2008 MCC (R227), which is 70% Chardonnay and 30% Pinot Noir. This is a very pleasant MCC to drink, it's fruity, not dry and nice to drink. Next I tried the Sauvignon Blanc 2010 (R86.67). This has a beautiful smell, is full of flavour, smooth, and balanced. For me, it tasted a bit grassy, and also tasted of lime. There was a prominent flavour to this wine which I just couldn't recognise, but it was zesty and vibrant.


The rest of the wine available to try were red varietals and to be honest, I wasn't a fan of them. The flavours were all fine, but it was just the chalky and dry aftertaste that I didn't enjoy.

A tasting costs R40 here, if you buy wine the fee is waived.

Be sure to come here, as the service is great, the scenery is beautiful and the wine is interesting. It's a small place which I like because you get to have a wonderful wine tasting experience here.

No comments:

Post a Comment