Welcome to the Western Cape Wineries - a kiwi's opinion blog

I originally set up this blog to help foreigners have an enjoyable experience when visiting the western cape wineries in South Africa.

I realised that it is very difficult for a tourist to choose where to go and which wineries to visit, when you have 600+ wine producers to choose from.

When I first moved to SA December 2010, my palate struggled to adjust to SA wine, b
ut after living here for a while and after visiting over 100+ wine estates, I have found many wines which I really like and can highly recommend.

Admittingly, when you come from another country it is hard not to compare the wine in SA to what you are used to back home. However, once you realise they are not the same (they have their own characteristics due to the different soil, climate etc) and appreciate their wines for being SA wines, it will improve your opinion and experience of the wines immediately.

If you are staying in SA for a while, don't dispair, your palate will change, and you will soon find yourself liking SA wine over your home countries wine!!

I hope my blog will help wine lovers have an enjoyable wine experience while in SA.

Please note: I am not a wine connoisseur. The comments I write about the wine is mostly for my own benefit of having them on record.



Thursday 17 November 2011

Groenland

Last week I went to this winery by myself as I was out that way for a job interview and thought it would be nice to visit a few wineries before I headed home.

I have to say, it is a very cute/unique place to come for a wine tasting. It felt like I was driving on to someones property, which I am guessing I was. Even though I have been to several wineries where the owners live on the same grounds, you usually don't get close to their house, so it doesn't feel so obtrusive.

The gardens at this winery are nicely kept, and the whole place all has a quaint feel to it. It added mystery and excitement to the place :-)
Following the wine sale signs I managed to find the wine tasting room. There was a lady there working as the tasting room assistant and there were no guests when I went. So I was very lucky to get a one on one tasting. The lady (Jenny) working there was very friendly, polite and clearly knew her wine!
A tasting at this winery is free, and there are 9 wines to try. I tried 6 of them and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised as to how nice the wines were. I had not heard of Groenland before coming to this winery, so after trying the wine, I was very glad to have visited.
The Chenin Blanc 2010 - Promise (R25) is definitely worth a try. It is balanced, creamy, not acidic and has lovely fruit flavours. I especially liked the Sauvignon Blanc 2011 (R39.50) which has a beautiful smell and taste. My other favourite was the Antoinette Marie 2007 (R59.50). This is a red blend of 50% Shiraz, 25% Cabernet and 25% Merlot. I don't know what has happened to me recently, but I am stumbling over some fantastic reds!! For those who follow my wine blog closely, you will know this is very odd, as I have not been so keen on red wines up till now. I ended up walking away with two bottles of the SB and Antoinette Marie. I have already shared the Antoinette Marie with friends and they also thought the wine was very nice!!

The price of the wine here is truly fantastic, especially considering the quality of wine you are getting!!


Be sure to visit this winery if out this way, it's truly a hidden gem!!

Please note I did not have my camera on me when I visited this winery, and therefore I have had to use photos from Groenlands website. You can view more on http://www.groenland.co.za/gallery.asp

No comments:

Post a Comment