Welcome to the Western Cape Wineries - a kiwi's opinion blog

I originally set up this blog to help foreigners have an enjoyable experience when visiting the western cape wineries in South Africa.

I realised that it is very difficult for a tourist to choose where to go and which wineries to visit, when you have 600+ wine producers to choose from.

When I first moved to SA December 2010, my palate struggled to adjust to SA wine, b
ut after living here for a while and after visiting over 100+ wine estates, I have found many wines which I really like and can highly recommend.

Admittingly, when you come from another country it is hard not to compare the wine in SA to what you are used to back home. However, once you realise they are not the same (they have their own characteristics due to the different soil, climate etc) and appreciate their wines for being SA wines, it will improve your opinion and experience of the wines immediately.

If you are staying in SA for a while, don't dispair, your palate will change, and you will soon find yourself liking SA wine over your home countries wine!!

I hope my blog will help wine lovers have an enjoyable wine experience while in SA.

Please note: I am not a wine connoisseur. The comments I write about the wine is mostly for my own benefit of having them on record.



Saturday 27 August 2011

Guardian Peak

My boyfriend and I visited Guardian Peak on a beautiful, sunny, winter's day. We sat outside on the decking for breakfast and were able to do the wine tasting at our table also. Was nice and convenient, a very relaxing and enjoyable way to do a tasting.


The service and food is very good here and the view is beautiful. You can view the menu online http://www.guardianpeak.com/restaurant.htm.


You can do a tasting outside at a table, or sitting on these outdoor cushions. There is also plenty of space inside for a tasting.



I tried all the wines for tasting. My favourites were the 2010 Guardian Peak Merlot (R65) and the 2011 Guardian Peak Rose (R65). The Merlot was very nice, had great flavour and was slightly dry. The Rose is 100% Cabernet Sauvignon, it was lovely in colour (had no skin contact, it gets its colours from the initial press with the skin), it was a nice, light, easy drinking wine.


I also enjoyed the 2011 Guardian Peak Sauvignon Blanc(R65) it was smooth, balanced, had a nice guava flavour, was buttery with a crisp aftertaste. On the tasting notes it said this wine is "light & elegant - beautiful", I totally agree.

It costs R30 for a tasting. There are nine wines you can try.

This is a nice winery to visit, I highly recommend eating here, be sure to ask for a table outside so you can enjoy the views while eating and/or doing a tasting.

No comments:

Post a Comment