Welcome to the Western Cape Wineries - a kiwi's opinion blog

I originally set up this blog to help foreigners have an enjoyable experience when visiting the western cape wineries in South Africa.

I realised that it is very difficult for a tourist to choose where to go and which wineries to visit, when you have 600+ wine producers to choose from.

When I first moved to SA December 2010, my palate struggled to adjust to SA wine, b
ut after living here for a while and after visiting over 100+ wine estates, I have found many wines which I really like and can highly recommend.

Admittingly, when you come from another country it is hard not to compare the wine in SA to what you are used to back home. However, once you realise they are not the same (they have their own characteristics due to the different soil, climate etc) and appreciate their wines for being SA wines, it will improve your opinion and experience of the wines immediately.

If you are staying in SA for a while, don't dispair, your palate will change, and you will soon find yourself liking SA wine over your home countries wine!!

I hope my blog will help wine lovers have an enjoyable wine experience while in SA.

Please note: I am not a wine connoisseur. The comments I write about the wine is mostly for my own benefit of having them on record.



Sunday 28 August 2011

Eagle's Nest

This is a nice winery nestled in Constantia.

We received very good service from the moment we walked in to the wine tasting room. The tasting room is of a nice size, the tasting is done seated, and there are nice photos hanging in the room.


I tried all six wines at this winery. I started with the Sauvignon Blanc 2010 (R75) which is light, tasty, smooth, balanced and very nice. The Viognier 2010 (R135) is smooth, spicy, and has interesting flavours.
The Litte Eagle 2008 (R65) is light, easy drinking, tasty and flavoursome. The Merlot 2006 (R120) is nicely balanced, slightly dry, has a plum and blackberry taste to it. I felt this wine was more for the experienced wine drinker though. The Verreaux 2008 (R145) is a blend of Merlot, Cabernet Sauviginon and Cabernet Franc. It is smooth, rounded, with a slight dry aftertaste. It has nice flavour to it and is an ideal food wine. Last of all I tried the Shiraz 2009 (R225). It is quite dry, has nice flavour, its slightly spicy, and has peppery notes to it.


Overall, this is a nice winery, with great service, nice grounds, and nice wines.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your review of our estate and wine range. We're glad you enjoyed your visit and we hope to welcome you back in the near future!

    Best wishes,
    The Eagles' Nest Team

    ReplyDelete