Welcome to the Western Cape Wineries - a kiwi's opinion blog

I originally set up this blog to help foreigners have an enjoyable experience when visiting the western cape wineries in South Africa.

I realised that it is very difficult for a tourist to choose where to go and which wineries to visit, when you have 600+ wine producers to choose from.

When I first moved to SA December 2010, my palate struggled to adjust to SA wine, b
ut after living here for a while and after visiting over 100+ wine estates, I have found many wines which I really like and can highly recommend.

Admittingly, when you come from another country it is hard not to compare the wine in SA to what you are used to back home. However, once you realise they are not the same (they have their own characteristics due to the different soil, climate etc) and appreciate their wines for being SA wines, it will improve your opinion and experience of the wines immediately.

If you are staying in SA for a while, don't dispair, your palate will change, and you will soon find yourself liking SA wine over your home countries wine!!

I hope my blog will help wine lovers have an enjoyable wine experience while in SA.

Please note: I am not a wine connoisseur. The comments I write about the wine is mostly for my own benefit of having them on record.



Sunday 3 July 2011

Zorgvliet - Stellenbosch

This was the third stop on our wine tour last Sunday.
It's a nice winery in that it was quiet, the lady serving us was pretty chilled and relaxed and the wine was nice. I would have prefered that we could sit outside and have the tasting there, but unfortunately that was not an option, unless we wanted to keep going inside for each tasting.
The wines were nice, I tried theFive Thirty Five SB 2009 (R180). This is very similar to the Chardonnay we had at Delaire. It's light in colour, rounded, buttery, soft, well balanced, it was definitely my favourite. My NZ friend who was visiting the wineries with my friends and I, really liked this wine, so much he bought a bottle to take back to NZ with him.
The 2004 shiraz was smooth, not spicy, off dry and easy drinking (R110). The MCC was not so good, which was a shame, as this was the only MCC my friend got to try while in the western cape. The 2010 SB had lime and tropical fruit flavours, it was smooth and rounded (R75). The Silver Myn SB 2010 (R40) was light, smooth, well balanced and fruity. The Chardonnay 2009 (R48) was unwooded, fruity, sweet and smooth. The Viognier 2009 (R48) was a favourite of mine, it was smooth, sweet, and had a nice lingering aftertaste.

Overall we liked the experience here. I would recommend coming here for a tasting when out this way.

No comments:

Post a Comment