Welcome to the Western Cape Wineries - a kiwi's opinion blog

I originally set up this blog to help foreigners have an enjoyable experience when visiting the western cape wineries in South Africa.

I realised that it is very difficult for a tourist to choose where to go and which wineries to visit, when you have 600+ wine producers to choose from.

When I first moved to SA December 2010, my palate struggled to adjust to SA wine, b
ut after living here for a while and after visiting over 100+ wine estates, I have found many wines which I really like and can highly recommend.

Admittingly, when you come from another country it is hard not to compare the wine in SA to what you are used to back home. However, once you realise they are not the same (they have their own characteristics due to the different soil, climate etc) and appreciate their wines for being SA wines, it will improve your opinion and experience of the wines immediately.

If you are staying in SA for a while, don't dispair, your palate will change, and you will soon find yourself liking SA wine over your home countries wine!!

I hope my blog will help wine lovers have an enjoyable wine experience while in SA.

Please note: I am not a wine connoisseur. The comments I write about the wine is mostly for my own benefit of having them on record.



Tuesday 19 July 2011

Longridge - Stellenbosch

I visited this winery on Sunday for a wine tasting and lunch. I had a very nice experience and would definitely recommend others visit this winery. The building is modern, welcoming and tasteful. I loved the picket fence and the garden you walk through on the way in to the building.


Once you walk in the door you are made to feel very welcome by the staff. The decor was very nice, in that it was modern, warm and welcoming. There are plenty of places to sit at this restaurant/wine tasting venue, you can sit inside, outside, on couches, at tables, you choose. I loved the long table near the fireplace close to the window so on a cold day you will have a great view, while drinking wine and staying warm inside. I shall definitely keep this place in mind for a cold day.

The weather on Sunday was very nice, so we sat outside  and enjoyed the nice view!! I loved the vegetable garden they have in the courtyard area and thought it was great that 80% of the vegetables served at the restaurant is grown in their garden.



We were served by Richard. He looked after us very nicely, it did help that we were the first there for lunch service. We got to have our wine tasting at our table we ate at, which was very convenient, comfortable and relaxing.  I loved the fact that while sitting at the table trying all the wines, we could enjoy the view. We tried all ten wines, starting with the MCC. This was actually quite nice in that it was not sweet, not dry, but nicely balanced. The blend is 87% Chardonnay and 13% Pinot Noir.
I loved the Chardonnay (R110) and the HPC White (R45). Out of the reds, the Merlot (R90) was my favourite. Also worth mentioning is the Rose. It has a darker pink colour than most Rose's and due to the Rose having a blend of Cab Frank, Cab Sauv, Shiraz, Merlot, Verdot and Viognier, there are some amazing flavours, it has nice body and yet it is light. I really liked this Rose. It is definitely worth trying. I enjoyed the majority of the wines here, I think it's definitely worth coming here for a wine tasting!!

The food was fantastic. We tried the garlic soup and the pork belly dish for a starter.


We then tried the beef dish and the pork neck dish for the mains.



All the food was really good, everything was cooked to perfection, presentation was very good and the flavour was also good. 

We finished with a chocolate fondant, which was served with orange pieces, white chocolate, ice cream and some crushed meringue. It was the perfect end to a lovely lunch!!

 
Longridge has a winter special on at the moment, which is a two course for only R150. Its totally worth it. Be sure to check this winery out!!

No comments:

Post a Comment