Welcome to the Western Cape Wineries - a kiwi's opinion blog

I originally set up this blog to help foreigners have an enjoyable experience when visiting the western cape wineries in South Africa.

I realised that it is very difficult for a tourist to choose where to go and which wineries to visit, when you have 600+ wine producers to choose from.

When I first moved to SA December 2010, my palate struggled to adjust to SA wine, b
ut after living here for a while and after visiting over 100+ wine estates, I have found many wines which I really like and can highly recommend.

Admittingly, when you come from another country it is hard not to compare the wine in SA to what you are used to back home. However, once you realise they are not the same (they have their own characteristics due to the different soil, climate etc) and appreciate their wines for being SA wines, it will improve your opinion and experience of the wines immediately.

If you are staying in SA for a while, don't dispair, your palate will change, and you will soon find yourself liking SA wine over your home countries wine!!

I hope my blog will help wine lovers have an enjoyable wine experience while in SA.

Please note: I am not a wine connoisseur. The comments I write about the wine is mostly for my own benefit of having them on record.



Friday 8 April 2011

What winery should I visit next?

If you would like to suggest a winery you think is worth visiting, please be sure to let me know by leaving a comment after this blog. I shall then put it on my list of wineries to visit.

Chrissy.

7 comments:

  1. Hi its Gerard here, Len & Danie's mate...
    You have to check out Waterkloof in Somerset West, the setting is awesome, on top of a 'mountain' and you can see the ocean from the top. The proprietor is n huge guy in the SA wine export market, and this is his lifelong dream materialised. Make sure you take Danie with you, I think he will be impressed by the interior scale and architecture... good luck with this venture i think its a great idea !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chrissy,
    if you find yourself back in Elgin, its worth booking a couple of stops with Catherine Marshall and Shannon Vineyards. Cathy is making awesome small lot Pinot and Rhone blends, and the last time i was there conducted the tasting herself.

    Shannon Vineyards is something altogether more serious. Again you have to call a few days ahead but we tasted with the winemaker, and all four wines were simply incredible, at the top end of the price scale, but i haven't tasted better in SA.

    Both of these places dont have proper tasting rooms set up, but the quality of the wines is unbelievable!

    Have fun!
    Bryn
    UK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bryan, I am going through my blog to see which wineries I have visited but not got around to writing about and found your post. These were some great suggestions. Catherine Marshall and Shannon Vineyard's wines are truly top quality. I thoroughly enjoy Catherine Marshall's Pinot Noirs and Shannon Vineyards Merlot! I sadly still haven't visited these wineries though. I really must make a plan!

      Delete
  3. oh and i forgot to mention in the last post, try Vondeling in Voor Paaderberg too! Winemaker Matthew Copeland is making some superb Rhone reds and some beautifully nuanced whites!

    Bryn
    UK
    (again)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great suggestion. I have visited this winery twice over the past few years. I loved it. Such a beautiful place, great wines (amazing value) and friendly staff.

      Delete
  4. Hi Gerhard,
    I finally made it to Waterkloof, wow, what a place!! Thank you for suggesting it!
    The setting, building, service, restaurant and the grandness of it all is very impressive!!
    As for the wine, I found some I really liked, but the majority were nothing to rave about, which I thought was a shame.
    However, I definitely recommend one visits this place though, it is very cool and has lovely views!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Bryn,
    Thanks so much for your suggestions, I have added them to my list and hope to be able to visit them soon!! I shall write a review on them once I have visited them.
    Cheers,
    Chrissy

    ReplyDelete