Welcome to the Western Cape Wineries - a kiwi's opinion blog

I originally set up this blog to help foreigners have an enjoyable experience when visiting the western cape wineries in South Africa.

I realised that it is very difficult for a tourist to choose where to go and which wineries to visit, when you have 600+ wine producers to choose from.

When I first moved to SA December 2010, my palate struggled to adjust to SA wine, b
ut after living here for a while and after visiting over 100+ wine estates, I have found many wines which I really like and can highly recommend.

Admittingly, when you come from another country it is hard not to compare the wine in SA to what you are used to back home. However, once you realise they are not the same (they have their own characteristics due to the different soil, climate etc) and appreciate their wines for being SA wines, it will improve your opinion and experience of the wines immediately.

If you are staying in SA for a while, don't dispair, your palate will change, and you will soon find yourself liking SA wine over your home countries wine!!

I hope my blog will help wine lovers have an enjoyable wine experience while in SA.

Please note: I am not a wine connoisseur. The comments I write about the wine is mostly for my own benefit of having them on record.



Wednesday 30 March 2011

Durbanville Hills - Durbanville

I went to Durbanville Hills on a monday to have a wine tasting and lunch with a friend and unfortunately the restaurant is not open on Mondays. So we only did a wine tasting here. There is a fee for trying the wines, but it is a reasonable price, I think it was approximately R20 pp.

Durbanville Hills is well known for its Sauvignon Blanc with the locals. Durbanville Hills SB is a good option if you are looking for a cheaper wine to drink while at a restaurant. However, I personally don't think their sauvignon blancs compare with other wineries in the area, or with some of the SB's in Constantia!!!

Durbanville wine region is the better region for making Sauvignon Blanc, so if you want to do a wine tour for trying Western Cape SB's then this is a good route to take. There are plenty of wineries on the same road.

I have seen the menu for the restaurant online, and it looks fab!! My friend and I plan to go back this Friday to try the restaurant. I shall write a new blog to let you know what I think of the food.

The winery is set up on a hill, and has lovely views. The lady who served us allowed us to choose a wine to try and then walk around the building, go upstairs to see the view before coming back for our next wine to try. There are several places you can sit to enjoy the tasting, however, they don't come to you to pour the wine, you do have to keep going back to the bar to get your next wine to try.

Also, I found out when trying the wines that some of their sauvignon blanc is exported to NZ. I was shocked to hear that, as I believe it doesn't compare to our Sauvignon Blanc in NZ. Also, I don't undertsand why a NZ'er would buy SA sauvignon blanc over NZ SB when ours is sooooo good :-) My only thought is that they can beat the price of local NZ wine.

I guess overall, you could say I am not that impressed with Durbanville SB but while I remember, I did like their Shiraz, I almost bought a bottle. So even though the whites may not be so great, it is still worth checking out this place for the variety of wines they have on offer and for the views.

Unfortunately I don't have any photos of this winery, be sure to check it out on http://www.durbanvillehills.co.za. I shall get some photos this week when I go for lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment