Welcome to the Western Cape Wineries - a kiwi's opinion blog

I originally set up this blog to help foreigners have an enjoyable experience when visiting the western cape wineries in South Africa.

I realised that it is very difficult for a tourist to choose where to go and which wineries to visit, when you have 600+ wine producers to choose from.

When I first moved to SA December 2010, my palate struggled to adjust to SA wine, b
ut after living here for a while and after visiting over 100+ wine estates, I have found many wines which I really like and can highly recommend.

Admittingly, when you come from another country it is hard not to compare the wine in SA to what you are used to back home. However, once you realise they are not the same (they have their own characteristics due to the different soil, climate etc) and appreciate their wines for being SA wines, it will improve your opinion and experience of the wines immediately.

If you are staying in SA for a while, don't dispair, your palate will change, and you will soon find yourself liking SA wine over your home countries wine!!

I hope my blog will help wine lovers have an enjoyable wine experience while in SA.

Please note: I am not a wine connoisseur. The comments I write about the wine is mostly for my own benefit of having them on record.



Tuesday 29 March 2011

Daschbosch - Breedekloof

This is one of my favourite wineries because they have a great range of wines and many of them are easy drinking quaffing wines. The price of the wine is just awesome. They range from R21 - R35 a bottle!!

I was really impressed with the wines here, I tried all of them and found that I liked the majority of them. That doesn't often happen for me. The Groot Eiland Sauvignon Blanc and Pinotage are very easy drinking wines. I also liked the Groot Eiland Rose and Merlot. As I enjoyed these wines and the prices were so good, I stocked up on a case of the wines here.

The dessert wines are a MUST!!! They have a white and red dessert wine. The white dessert wine is made from Colombar and the red dessert wine is made from Merlot. What I love about these dessert wines is that they have a touch of brandy in them, which makes them just delicious!! The red one is my favourite of the two. I also bought a few bottles of this to take home. Be sure to try this wine!!!

As this winery has great service, tasty wines which are great value for money, be sure to pop in for a tasting and stock up if you are out this way.

No comments:

Post a Comment