Welcome to the Western Cape Wineries - a kiwi's opinion blog

I originally set up this blog to help foreigners have an enjoyable experience when visiting the western cape wineries in South Africa.

I realised that it is very difficult for a tourist to choose where to go and which wineries to visit, when you have 600+ wine producers to choose from.

When I first moved to SA December 2010, my palate struggled to adjust to SA wine, b
ut after living here for a while and after visiting over 100+ wine estates, I have found many wines which I really like and can highly recommend.

Admittingly, when you come from another country it is hard not to compare the wine in SA to what you are used to back home. However, once you realise they are not the same (they have their own characteristics due to the different soil, climate etc) and appreciate their wines for being SA wines, it will improve your opinion and experience of the wines immediately.

If you are staying in SA for a while, don't dispair, your palate will change, and you will soon find yourself liking SA wine over your home countries wine!!

I hope my blog will help wine lovers have an enjoyable wine experience while in SA.

Please note: I am not a wine connoisseur. The comments I write about the wine is mostly for my own benefit of having them on record.



Tuesday 29 March 2011

Bloemendal - Durbanville

We went to Bloemendal restaurant, however, did not get the chance to do a wine tasting. We didn't go to the restaurant up on the hill, however, made the mistake thinking that was the only Bloemendal restaurant. The Bloemendal restaurant on the hill is a lot pricier but has lovely views and a buffet on sundays. This is a photo of the restauarant on the hill:



We went to the Bloemendal restauarant just off the road and not the one up the hill. It was casual, there were lots of families with young children, and prices were reasonable. There was outdoor and indoor seating. The restaurant was very busy on the weekend, therefore bookings are highly recommended.

The service was not too bad considering how busy the restauarnt was. The food was very nice and the wine was also nice.

Durbanville is well known for its sauvignon blancs, and coming from NZ, I recommend trying the sauvignon blancs here as opposed to other wine regions in Western Cape. It has taken a while for me to adapt to western cape sauvignon blancs, and I have started enjoying a range of sauvignon blancs, and not just from Durbanville.

Unfortunately I don't have a photo for the Bloemendal restauarant we went to. It was a simple looking restaurant, set up in a simple farm style house with indoor and outdoor seating. There was a guitar player who sang some songs, which was very pleasant to listen to. The place is relaxed and has nice surroundings. I probably wont bother going back to this restaurant as there are many more I would like to try, but do plan to get back for the wine tasting.

1 comment:

  1. For the record, I did end up going back to this restaurant, after they had renovated the place. I invited my friends to this restaurant for dinner and drinks, and we had a wonderful time. I wasn't a fan of their wine, but they have a range of other wine at the restaurant, so if Bloemendal wine is not to your liking you can try something else. This restaurant looks heaps better after the renovation, and I love the openess of it. The service was great, the food was nice, and I would definitely go dine here again.

    ReplyDelete